Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 15, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 54. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to peak on Wednesday in the mid-70s, followed by a drop back into the 60s with a chance of showers on Friday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1813 U.S. troops under James Wilkinson lay siege to the Spanish-held city of Mobile in future state of Alabama.
- 1861 President Lincoln mobilizes Federal army.
- 1865 Abraham Lincoln dies from John Wilkes Booth’s assassination bullet.
- 1871 ‘Wild Bill’ Hickok becomes the marshal of Abilene, Kansas.
- 1874 Birth of George Harrison Shull, American botanist, developer of hybrid corn.
- 1898 Birth of Bessie Smith, American blues singer.
- 1912 With her band playing on the deck, the ocean liner Titanic sinks at 2:27 a.m. in the North Atlantic.
- 1923 The first sound films shown to a paying audience are exhibited at the Rialto Theater in New York City.
- 1923 Insulin becomes generally available for people suffering with diabetes.
- 1945 President Franklin D. Roosevelt is buried on the grounds of his Hyde Park home.
- 1952 President Harry Truman signs the official Japanese peace treaty.
- 1955 Ray Kroc starts the McDonald’s chain of fast food restaurants.
- 1971 North Vietnamese troops ambush a company of Delta Raiders from the 101st Airborne Division near Fire Support Base Bastogne in Vietnam. The American troops are on a rescue mission.
- 1986 U.S. warplanes attack Libya.