Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, April 17, 2020:
A chance of showers, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 63. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A slight chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Temperatures are remain in the 60s until the new week, with partly to mostly sunny skies. Highs are expected to rise into the mid-70s by the middle of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1492 Christopher Columbus signs a contract with Spain to find a western route to the Indies.
- 1524 Present-day New York Harbor is discovered by Giovanni da Verrazzano.
- 1741 Birth of Samuel Chase, signer of the Declaration of Independence
- 1758 Frances Williams, the first African-American to graduate from a college in the western hemisphere, publishes a collection of Latin poems.
- 1808 Bayonne Decree by Napoleon Bonaparte of France orders seizure of U.S. ships.
- 1820 Birth of Alexander Cartwright, sportsman, developed baseball.
- 1824 Russia abandons all North American claims south of 54′ 40′.
- 1861 Virginia becomes the eighth state to secede from the Union.
- 1864 General Ulysses Grant bans the trading of prisoners.
- 1865 Mary Surratt is arrested as a conspirator in the Lincoln assassination.
- 1929 Baseball player Babe Ruth and Claire Hodgson, a former member of the Ziegfeld Follies, get married.
- 1947 Jackie Robinson bunts for his first major league hit.
- 1969 Sirhan Sirhan is convicted of assassinating Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
- 1970 Apollo 13–originally scheduled to land on the moon–lands back safely on Earth after an accident.