Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, April 23, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 60. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to peak in the low 90s on Friday before dropping back into the low 80s over a couple days, with lows in the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1789 President George Washington moves into Franklin House, New York.
- 1791 Birth of James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States (1857-1861).
- 1813 Birth of Stephen A. Douglas, American politician.
- 1856 Free Stater J.N. Mace in Westport, Kansas shoots pro-slavery sheriff Samuel Jones in the back.
- 1865 Union cavalry units continue to skirmish with Confederate forces in Henderson, North Carolina and Munford’s Station, Alabama.
- 1896 Motion pictures premiere in New York City.
- 1897 Birth of Lucius D. Clay, U.S. military governor of occupied Berlin.
- 1914 The Federals defeat Kansas City 9-1 in the first major league game to be played in Chicago’s Weeghman Park, later renamed Wrigley Field.
- 1915 The ACA becomes the National Advisory Council on Aeronautics (NACA), the forerunner of NASA.
- 1924 The U.S. Senate passes the Soldiers’ Bonus Bill.
- 1926 Birth of Virgil I. “Gus” Grissom, Mercury and Gemini astronaut, died in an accident on Apollo 1.
- 1928 Birth of Shirley Temple Black, child actress, later U.S. ambassador.
- 1954 The Army-McCarthy hearings begin.
- 1966 President Lyndon Johnson publicly appeals for more nations to come to the aid of South Vietnam.
- 1969 Sirhan Sirhan is sentenced to death for killing Senator Robert Kennedy.