Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, April 25, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 84. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Highs are forecast to linger in the 80s before slipping back into the upper 70s around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 Admiral David Farragut occupies New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1864 After facing defeat in the Red River Campaign, Union General Nathaniel Bank returns to Alexandria, Louisiana.
- 1898 The United States declares war on Spain.
- 1908 Birth of Edward R. Murrow, war correspondent and newscaster.
- 1938 A seeing eye dog is used for the first time.
- 1945 U.S. and Soviet forces meet at Torgau, Germany on Elbe River.
- 1953 The magazine Nature publishes an article by biologists Francis Crick and James Watson, describing the “double helix” of DNA.
- 1956 Elvis Presley’s “Heartbreak Hotel” goes to number one on the charts.
- 1959 The St. Lawrence Seaway–linking the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes–opens to shipping.
- 1960 The first submerged circumnavigation of the Earth is completed by a Triton submarine.
- 1962 A U.S. Ranger spacecraft crash lands on the Moon.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter tells the American people about the hostage rescue disaster in Iran.