Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 29, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Light southeast wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 60. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are remain fairly level in the low 80s, dropping into the upper 70s at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1813 Rubber is patented.
- 1852 The first edition of Peter Roget’s Thesaurus is published.
- 1856 Yokut Indians repel a second attack by the ‘Petticoat Rangers,’ a band of civilian Indian fighters at Four Creeks, California.
- 1861 The Maryland House of Delegates votes against seceding from Union.
- 1862 Forts Philip and Jackson surrender to Admiral David Farragut outside New Orleans.
- 1913 Gideon Sundback of Hoboken patents the all-purpose zipper.
- 1918 America’s WWI Ace of Aces, Eddie Rickenbacker, scores his first victory with the help of Captain James Norman Hall.
- 1927 Construction of the Spirit of St. Louis is completed.
- 1930 The film All Quiet on the Western Front, based on Erich Maria Remarque’s novel Im Western Nichts Neues, premiers.
- 1975 The U.S. embassy in Vietnam is evacuated as North Vietnamese forces fight their way into Saigon.
- 1983 Harold Washington is sworn in as Chicago’s first black mayor.
- 1992 Four Los Angeles police officers are acquitted of charges stemming from the beating of Rodney King. Rioting ensues.