Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, May 2, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 60. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to shoot back up, reaching the upper 80s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1670 The Hudson Bay Company is founded.
- 1776 France and Spain agree to donate arms to American rebels fighting the British.
- 1863 Stonewall Jackson smashes Joseph Hooker’s flank at Chancellorsville, Virginia.
- 1865 President Andrew Johnson offers a $100,000 reward for the capture of the Confederate President
- 1866 Birth of Jesse Lazear, American physician and researcher of yellow fever.
- 1890 The Territory of Oklahoma is created.
- 1919 The first U.S. air passenger service starts.
- 1923 Lieutenants Oakley Kelly and John Macready take off from New York for the West Coast on what will become the first successful nonstop transcontinental flight.
- 1942 Admiral Chester J. Nimitz, convinced that the Japanese will attack Midway Island, visits the island to review its readiness.
- 1946 Prisoners revolt at California’s Alcatraz prison.
- 1968 The U.S. Army attacks Nhi Ha in South Vietnam and begins a fourteen-day battle to wrestle it away from Vietnamese Communists.
- 1970 Student anti-war protesters at Ohio’s Kent State University burn down the campus ROTC building. The National Guard takes control of campus.