Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, May 4, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 60. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to shoot back up, peaking in the upper 80s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1626 American Indians sell Manhattan Island for $24 in cloth and buttons.
- 1776 Rhode Island declares independence from England.
- 1796 Birth of Horace Mann, educator and author.
- 1863 The Battle of Chancellorsville ends when Union Army retreats.
- 1864 Union General Ulysses S. Grant’s forces cross the Rapidan River and meet Robert E. Lee’s Confederate army.
- 1884 Birth of Agnes Fay Morgan, American nutritionist and biochemist.
- 1929 Birth of Audrey Hepburn (Edda van Heemstra Hepburn-Ruston), actress, later U.N. special ambassador.
- 1942 The United States begins food rationing.
- 1942 The Battle of the Coral Sea commences.
- 1961 13 civil rights activists, dubbed Freedom Riders, begin a bus trip through the South.
- 1970 Ohio National Guardsmen open fire on student protesters at Kent State University, killing four and wounding nine others.