Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 5, 2020:
Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 88. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 62. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to peak midweek, gradually dropping back to the 70s around the latter half of the weekend.
Heat Advisory in effect from May 5, 10:00 AM PDT until May 8, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 British attack the American forces at Ft. Ontario, Oswego, New York.
- 1830 Birth of John B. Stetson, American hat maker.
- 1862 Union and Confederate forces clash at the Battle of Williamsburg, part of the Peninsular Campaign.
- 1886 A bomb explodes on the fourth day of a workers’ strike in Chicago.
- 1916 U.S. Marines invade the Dominican Republic.
- 1917 Eugene Jacques Bullard becomes the first African-American aviator when he earns a flying certificate with the French Air Service.
- 1935 American Jesse Owens sets the long jump record.
- 1961 Alan Shepard becomes the first American in space.
- 1965 173rd Airborne Brigade arrives in Bien Hoa-Vung, Vietnam, the first regular U.S. Army unit deployed to that country.
- 1968 U.S. Air Force planes hit Nhi Ha, South Vietnam in support of attacking infantrymen.
- 1969 Pulitzer Prize awarded to Norman Mailer for his ‘nonfiction novel’ Armies of the Night, an account of the 1967 anti-Vietnam War march on the Pentagon.
- 1987 Congress opens Iran-Contra hearings.
- 2000 The Sun, Earth, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn align – Earth’s moon is also almost in this alignment – leading to Doomsday predictions of massive natural disasters, although such a ‘grand confluence’ occurs about once in every century.