Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, May 7, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 83. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 60. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to drop back into the 70s, with mild temperatures and morning clouds for the coming week.
Heat Advisory in effect from May 5, 10:00 AM PDT until May 8, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1763 Indian chief Pontiac begins his attack on a British fort in present-day Detroit, Michigan.
- 1800 Congress divides the Northwest Territory into two parts. The western part will becomes the Indiana Territory and the eastern section remains the Northwest Territory.
- 1847 The American Medical Association is formed in Philadelphia.
- 1862 Confederate troops strike Union troops at the Battle of Eltham’s Landing in Virginia.
- 1864 The Battle of the Wilderness ends with heavy losses to both sides.
- 1877 Indian chief Sitting Bull enters Canada with a trail of Indians after the Battle of Little Bighorn.
- 1901 Birth of Gary Cooper, film actor (High Noon, Friendly Persuasion).
- 1915 The German submarine U-20 torpedoes the passenger ship Lusitiania, sinking her in 21 minutes with 1,978 people on board.
- 1942 In the Battle of the Coral Sea, Japanese and American navies attack each other with carrier-launched warplanes. It is the first time in the history of naval warfare where two fleets fought without seeing each other.Two crucial battles in 1942 marked the turning point of the war in the Pacific.
- 1945 Germany signs an unconditional surrender, effectively ending World War II in Europe.
- 1952 In Korea, Communist POWs at Koje-do riot against their American captors.
- 1958 Howard Johnson sets an aircraft altitude record in F-104.