Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 10, 2020:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light west after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 70s with morning clouds for the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1676 Bacon’s Rebellion begins in the New World.
- 1730 Birth of George Ross, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1773 To keep the troubled East India Company afloat, Parliament passes the Tea Act, taxing all tea in the American colonies.
- 1775 American troops capture Fort Ticonderoga from the British.
- 1838 Birth of John Wilkes Booth, actor, assassin of President Abraham Lincoln.
- 1840 Mormon leader Joseph Smith moves his band of followers to Illinois to escape the hostilities they experienced in Missouri.
- 1863 General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson succumbs to illness and wounds received during the Battle of Chancellorsville.
- 1865 Union cavalry troops capture Confederate President Jefferson Davis near Irvinville, Georgia.
- 1869 The Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroads meet in Promontory, Utah.
- 1872 Victoria Woodhull becomes first the woman nominated for U.S. president.
- 1899 Birth of Fred Astaire (Frederick Austerlitz), American dancer and actor.
- 1908 Birth of Carl Albert, U.S. politician.
- 1917 Allied ships get destroyer escorts to fend off German attacks in the Atlantic.
- 1924 J. Edgar Hoover is appointed head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- 1928 WGY-TV in Schenectady, New York, begins regular television programming.
- 1960 The USS Nautilus completes the first circumnavigation of the globe underwater.