Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, May 18, 2020:
Areas of drizzle with a chance of rain before 11am, then rain likely after 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A slight chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 70s with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1652 A law is passed in Rhode Island banning slavery in the colonies but it causes little stir and seems unlikely to be enforced.
- 1860 Abraham Lincoln is nominated for president.
- 1864 The fighting at Spotsylvania in Virginia, reaches its peak at the Bloody Angle.
- 1896 The Supreme Court’s decision on Plessy v. Ferguson upholds the “separate but equal” policy in the United States.
- 1897 Birth of Frank Capra, film director (It’s A Wonderful Life).
- 1917 The U.S. Congress passes the Selective Service act, calling up soldiers to fight World War I.
- 1933 President Franklin Roosevelt signs the Tennessee Valley Authority Act.
- 1942 New York ends night baseball games for the rest of World War II.
- 1951 The United Nations moves its headquarters to New York City.
- 1969 Two battalions of the 101st Airborne Division assault Hill 937 but cannot reach the top because of muddy conditions.
- 1980 After rumbling for two months, Mount Saint Helens, in Washington, erupts 3 times in 24 hours.