Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 19, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 59. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 70s with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1780 Near total darkness descends on New England at noon. No explanation is found.
- 1856 Senator Charles Sumner speaks out against slavery.
- 1858 A pro-slavery band led by Charles Hamilton executes unarmed Free State men near Marais des Cygnes on the Kansas-Missouri border.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses S. Grant’s first attack on Vicksburg is repulsed.
- 1864 The Union and Confederate armies launch their last attacks against each other at Spotsylvania, Virginia.
- 1895 Birth of Johns Hopkins, merchant and philanthropist.
- 1921 Congress sharply curbs immigration, setting a national quota system.
- 1925 Birth of Malcolm X (Malcolm Little), African-American activist.
- 1935 The National Football League adopts an annual college draft to begin in 1936.
- 1964 U.S. diplomats find at least 40 microphones planted in the American embassy in Moscow.
- 1967 U.S. planes bomb Hanoi for the first time.