Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 24, 2020:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 79. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 60. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to rise into the 80s for several days, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1607 Captain Christopher Newport and 105 followers found the colony of Jamestown at the mouth of the James River on the coast of Virginia.
- 1624 After years of unprofitable operation, Virginia’s charter is revoked and it becomes a royal colony.
- 1689 The English Parliament passes the Act of Toleration, protecting Protestants. Roman Catholics are specifically excluded from exemption.
- 1764 Boston lawyer James Otis denounces “taxation without representation,” calling for the colonies to unite in opposition to Britain’s new tax measures.
- 1844 Samuel Morse taps out the first telegraph message.
- 1846 General Zachary Taylor captures Monterey.
- 1861 General Benjamin Butler declares slaves to be the contraband of war.
- 1863 Bushwackers led by Captain William Marchbanks attack a Federal militia party in Nevada, Missouri.
- 1878 The first American bicycle race is held in Boston.
- 1895 Birth of Samuel I. Newhouse, American publisher.
- 1951 Willie Mays begins playing for the New York Giants.
- 1961 Civil rights activists are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi.