Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 31, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 77. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 60. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain in the mid-70s to low 80s, with partly to mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1819 Birth of Walt Whitman, American poet.
- 1862 At the Battle of Fair Oaks, Union General George B. McClellan defeats Confederates outside of Richmond.
- 1879 New York’s Madison Square Garden opens its doors for the first time.
- 1889 Johnstown, Pennsylvania is destroyed by a massive flood.
- 1894 Birth of Fred Allen [John Florence Sullivan], American comedian.
- 1898 Birth of Norman Vincent Peale, American religious leader.
- 1900 U.S. troops arrive in Peking to help put down the Boxer Rebellion.
- 1909 The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) holds its first conference.
- 1913 The 17th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, providing for direct election of senators, is ratified.
- 1928 The first flight over the Pacific takes off from Oakland.
- 1955 The Supreme Court orders that states must end racial segregation “with all deliberate speed.”
- 1988 President Ronald Reagan arrives in Moscow, the first American president to do so in 14 years.