Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, June 1, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 61. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the mid-70s to low 80s, with partly to mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1774 The British government orders the port of Boston closed.
- 1789 The first U.S. congressional act on administering oaths becomes law.
- 1801 Birth of Brigham Young, American religious leader.
- 1812 American Navy captain James Lawrence, mortally wounded in a naval engagement with the British, exhorts to the crew of his vessel, the Chesapeake, “Don’t give up the ship!”
- 1814 Birth of Philip Kearney, Union general.
- 1831 Birth of John B. Hood, Confederate general.
- 1862 General Robert E. Lee assumes command of the Confederate army outside Richmond after General Joe Johnston is injured at Seven Pines.
- 1864 The Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia, begins as Confederate general Robert E. Lee tries to turn Union general Ulysses S. Grant’s flank.
- 1868 James Buchanan, the 15th president of the United States, dies.
- 1877 U.S. troops are authorized to pursue bandits into Mexico.
- 1916 The National Defense Act increases the strength of the U.S. National Guard by 450,000 men.
- 1921 A race riot erupts in Tulsa, Oklahoma, killing 85 people.
- 1939 The Douglas DC-4 makes its first passenger flight from Chicago to New York.
- 1942 America begins sending Lend-Lease materials to the Soviet Union.
- 1963 Governor George Wallace vows to defy an injunction ordering integration of the University of Alabama.
- 1978 The U.S. reports finding wiretaps in the American embassy in Moscow.