Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, June 2, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 81. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the mid-70s to low 80s, with partly to mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1537 Pope Paul III bans the enslavement of Indians in the New World.
- 1731 Birth of Martha Dandridge, the first First Lady of the United States. Widow of Daniel Park Custis, she married George Washington in 1759.
- 1774 The Quartering Act, requiring American colonists to allow British soldiers into their houses, is reenacted.
- 1865 At Galveston, Texas, Confederate general Edmund Kirby Smith surrenders the Trans-Mississippi Department to Union forces.
- 1883 The first baseball game under electric lights is played in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- 1886 Grover Cleveland becomes the first American president to wed while in office.
- 1903 Birth of Robert Morris Page, physicist, inventor of pulse radar.
- 1904 Birth of Johnny Weissmuller, American gold-winning Olympic swimmer who portrayed Tarzan in films.
- 1924 The United States grants full citizenship to American Indians.
- 1942 The American aircraft carriers Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown move into their battle positions for the Battle of Midway.
- 1948 Jamaican-born track star Herb McKenley sets a new world record for the 400 yard dash.
- 1954 Senator Joseph McCarthy charges that there are communists working in the CIA and atomic weapons plants.
- 1969 The Australian aircraft carrier Melbourne slices the destroyer USS Frank E. Evans in half off the shore of South Vietnam.