Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, June 9, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 97. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 63. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to drop gradually as the week progresses.
Heat Advisory in effect from June 9, 11:00 AM PDT until June 9, 07:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 Mary Ann “Mother” Bickerdyke begins working in Union hospitals.
- 1863 At the Battle of Brandy Station in Virginia, Union and Confederate cavalries clash in the largest cavalry battle of the Civil War.
- 1891 Birth of Cole Porter, American composer and lyricist.
- 1915 Birth of Les Paul, American guitarist and electric guitar innovator.
- 1916 Birth of Robert S. McNamara, U.S. Secretary of Defense under presidents John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.
- 1942 The Japanese high command announces that “The Midway Occupation operations have been temporarily postponed.”
- 1954 At the Army-McCarthy hearings, attorney Joseph Welch asks Senator Joseph McCarthy “Have you no sense of decency?”
- 1959 The first ballistic missile-carrying submarine, the USS George Washington, is launched.
- 1972 American advisor John Paul Vann is killed in a helicopter accident in Vietnam.
- 1986 NASA publishes a report on the Challenger accident.