Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, June 27, 2020:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 75. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
ncreasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light south after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1833 Prudence Crandall, a white woman, is arrested for conducting an academy for black women in Canterbury, Conn.
- 1862 Confederates break through the Union lines at the Battle of Gaines’ Mill–the third engagement of the Seven Days’ campaign.
- 1864 General William Sherman is repulsed by Confederates at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.
- 1872 Birth of Paul Laurence Dunbar, African-American poet and writer.
- 1880 Birth of Helen Keller, American educator.
- 1888 Birth of Antoinette Perry, actress and director, namesake of the “Tony” Awards.
- 1924 Democrats offer Mrs. Leroy Springs the vice presidential nomination, the first woman considered for the job.
- 1927 The U.S. Marines adopt the English bulldog as their mascot.
- 1929 Scientists at Bell Laboratories in New York reveal a system for transmitting television pictures.
- 1963 Henry Cabot Lodge is appointed U.S. ambassador to South Vietnam.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon vetoes a Senate ban on the Cambodia bombing.
- 1985 The U.S. House of Representatives votes to limit the use of combat troops in Nicaragua.