Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, July 1, 2020:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 74. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 60. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Highs are forecast to rise, reaching the mid-80s by Sunday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 British troops depart from their base at the Bouquet River to head toward Ticonderoga, New York.
- 1862 Union artillery stops a Confederate attack at Malvern Hill, Virginia.
- 1863 In the first day’s fighting at Gettysburg, Federal forces retreat through the town and dig in at Cemetery Ridge and Cemetery Hill.
- 1892 Birth of James M. Cain, author (The Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce).
- 1898 American troops take San Juan Hill and El Caney, Cuba, from the Spaniards.
- 1945 The New York State Commission Against Discrimination is established–the first such agency in the United States.
- 1950 American ground troops arrive in South Korea to halt the advancing North Korean army.
- 1963 The U.S. postmaster introduces the ZIP code.
- 1966 The U.S. Marines launch Operation Holt in an attempt to finish off a Vietcong battalion in Thua Thien Province in Vietnam.