Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, July 3, 2020:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are forecast to rise, peaking in the upper 80s on Sunday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 George Washington takes command of the Continental Army.
- 1844 American ambassador Caleb Cushing successfully negotiates a commercial treaty with China.
- 1863 Confederate forces attack the center of the Union line at Gettysburg, but fail to break it.
- 1878 John Wise flies the first dirigible in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- 1878 Birth of George M. Cohan, American entertainer and songwriter.
- 1901 The Wild Bunch, led by Butch Cassidy, commits its last American robbery near Wagner, Montana, taking $65,000 from a Great Northern train.
- 1903 The first cable across the Pacific Ocean is spliced between Honolulu, Midway, Guam and Manila.
- 1944 The U.S. First Army opens a general offensive to break out of the hedgerow area of Normandy, France.
- 1945 U.S. troops land at Balikpapan and take Sepinggan airfield on Borneo in the Pacific.
- 1950 U.S. carrier-based planes attack airfields in the Pyongyang-Chinnampo area of North Korea in the first air-strike of the Korean War.
- 1962 Jackie Robinson becomes the first African American to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.