Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, July 7, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 85. Light south wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are forecast to drop into the lower 80s before rising again at the end of the week, peaking on Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1742 A Spanish force invading Georgia runs headlong into the colony’s British defenders. The battle decides the fate of a colony.
- 1777 American troops give up Fort Ticonderoga, on Lake Champlain, to the British.
- 1791 Benjamin Rush, Richard Allen and Absalom Jones found the Non-denominational African Church.
- 1795 Thomas Paine defends the principal of universal suffrage at the Constitutional Convention in Paris.
- 1863 Confederate General Robert E. Lee, in Hagerstown, Maryland, reports his defeat at Gettysburg to President Jefferson Davis.
- 1906 Birth of Leroy “Satchel” Page, baseball pitcher.
- 1941 Although a neutral country, the United States sends troops to occupy Iceland to keep it out of Germany’s hands.
- 1966 The U.S. Marine Corps launches Operation Hasting to drive the North Vietnamese Army back across the Demilitarized Zone in Vietnam.
- 1969 The first U.S. units to withdraw from South Vietnam leave Saigon.
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor becomes the first woman to serve on the Supreme Court.