Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, July 9, 2020:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 84. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light south after midnight.
Highs are forecast to rise sharply at the end of the week, peaking on Sunday in the mid-90s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1819 Birth of Elias Howe, inventor of the sewing machine.
- 1850 U.S. President Zachary Taylor dies in office at the age of 65. He is succeeded by Millard Fillmore.
- 1861 Confederate cavalry led by John Morgan captures Tompkinsville, Kentucky.
- 1943 American and British forces make an amphibious landing on Sicily.
- 1971 The United States turns over complete responsibility of the Demilitarized Zone to South Vietnamese units.