Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, July 21, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 65. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in upper 70s to lower 80s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1667 The Peace of Breda ends the Second Anglo-Dutch War and cedes Dutch New Amsterdam to the English.
- 1861 In the first major battle of the Civil War, Confederate forces defeat the Union Army along Bull Run near Manassas Junction, Virginia. The battle becomes known as Manassas by the Confederates, while the Union calls it Bull Run.
- 1865 Wild Bill Hickok kills gunman Dave Tutt in Springfield, Missouri, in what is regarded as the first formal quick-draw duel.
- 1873 The James Gang robs a train in Adair, Iowa.
- 1896 Mary Church Terrell founds the National Association of Colored Women in Washington, D.C.
- 1899 Birth of Ernest Hemingway, American novelist and short-story writer.
- 1925 John Scopes is found guilty for teaching evolution in Dayton, Tenn., and is fined $100.
- 1944 U.S. Army and Marine forces land on Guam in the Marianas.