Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, August 1, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 89. Light and variable wind becoming south 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
Highs are expected to drop into the 70s by midweek, with morning clouds returning.
Heat Advisory in effect from July 30, 11:00 AM PDT until August 1, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1770 Birth of William Clark, American explorer, led the Corps of Discovery with Meriwether Lewis.
- 1779 Birth of Francis Scott Key, author of the “Star Spangled Banner.”
- 1791 Robert Carter III, a Virginia plantation owner, frees all 500 of his slaves in the largest private emancipation in U.S. history. An 1839 mutiny aboard a Spanish ship in Cuban waters raised basic questions about freedom and slavery in the United States.
- 1801 The American schooner Enterprise captures the Barbary cruiser Tripoli.
- 1818 Birth of Maria Mitchell, the first female astronomer in the U.S.
- 1864 Union General Ulysses S. Grant gives General Philip H. Sheridan the mission of clearing the Shenandoah Valley of Confederate forces.
- 1872 The first long-distance gas pipeline in the U.S. is completed. Designed for natural gas, the two-inch pipe ran five miles from Newton Wells to Titusville, Pennsylvania.
- 1873 San Francisco’s first cable cars begin running, operated by Hallidie’s Clay Street Hill Railroad Company.
- 1893 A machine for making shredded wheat breakfast cereal is patented.
- 1941 The Grumman TBF Avenger torpedo plane makes its first flight.
- 1942 Ensign Henry C. White, while flying a J4F Widgeon plane, sinks U-166 as it approaches the Mississippi River, the first U-boat sunk by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- 1946 President Harry S Truman establishes the Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1950 Lead elements of the U.S. 2nd Infantry Division arrive in Korea from the United States.
- 1957 US and Canada create North American Air Defense Command (NORAD).
- 1960 Singer Chubby Checker releases “The Twist,” creating a new dance craze. The song had been released by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters the previous year but got little attention.
- 1964 Arthur Ashe becomes the first African-American to play on the U.S. Davis Cup tennis team.
- 1966 Charles Whitman, shooting from the Texas Tower at the University of Texas, kills 16 people and wounds 31 before being killed himself.
- 1988 Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh begins his national radio show.
- 2007 The I-35W bridge at Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapses into the Mississippi River during evening rush hour, killing 13 people and injuring 145.