Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, August 13, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the 90s for the coming weak, peaking on Saturday and dropping very gradually.
Excessive Heat Warning in effect from August 14, 12:00 PM PDT until August 17, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1680 War starts when the Spanish are expelled from Santa Fe, New Mexico, by Indians under Chief Pope.
- 1860 Birth of Phoebe Anne Moses, later known as Annie Oakley, a sharpshooter and entertainer.
- 1862 Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest defeats a Union army under Thomas Crittenden at Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- 1881 The first African-American nursing school opens at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1889 The first coin-operated telephone is patented by William Gray.
- 1892 The first issue of the Afro American newspaper is published in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1898 Manila, the capital of the Philippines, falls to the U.S. Army.
- 1899 Birth of Alfred Hitchcock, director of over 50 films including Rebecca, Rear Window, Psycho and North by Northwest.
- 1933 Birth of Jocelyn Elders, first African American US Surgeon General (Sept 1993–Dec 1994).
- 1948 During the Berlin Airlift, the weather over Berlin becomes so stormy that American planes have their most difficult day landing supplies. They deem it ‘Black Friday.’
- 1989 The wreckage of a plane that carried U.S. Congressman Mickey Leland and others on a humanitarian mission is found on a mountain side in Ethiopia; there are no survivors.
- 1993 US Court of Appeals rules Congress must save all emails.