Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, August 14, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 96. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 71. West wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the 90s for the coming weak, peaking on Saturday and dropping very gradually.
Excessive Heat Warning in effect from August 14, 12:00 PM PDT until August 17, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1559 Spanish explorer Tristan de Luna enters Pensacola Bay, Florida.
- 1605 The Popham expedition reaches the Sagadahoc River in present-day Maine and settles there.
- 1756 French commander Louis Montcalm takes Fort Oswego, New England, from the British.
- 1942 Dwight D. Eisenhower is named the Anglo-American commander for Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa.
- 1945 Japan announces its unconditional surrender in World War II.
- 1973 The United States ends the “secret” bombing of Cambodia.
- 1987 Mark McGwire hits his 49th home run of the season, setting the major league home run record for a rookie.
- 1995 Shannon Faulker becomes the first female cadet in the long history of South Carolina’s state military college, The Citadel. Her presence is met with intense resistance, reportedly including death threats, and she will leave the school a week later.