Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, August 17, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the upper 80s to 90s for the coming week, dropping very gradually. Temperatures are expected to peak again on Wednesday as the remains of a hurricane pass through the region.
Excessive Heat Warning until August 20, 10:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1786 Birth of Davy Crockett, American frontiersman and politician who died in the defense of the Alamo.
- 1863 Union gunboats attack Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina, for the first time.
- 1882 Birth of Samuel Goldwyn, American movie mogul who helped start MGM (Metro Goldwyn Mayer).
- 1887 Birth of Marcus Garvey, Jamaican-born black nationalist who advocated the departure of African-Americans back to Africa.
- 1890 Birth of Harry Hopkins, who organized the Works Projects Administration under President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1892 Birth of Mae West, American actress in burlesque, vaudeville, Broadway and movies.
- 1942 Marine Raiders attack Makin Island in the Gilbert Islands from two submarines.
- 1960 American Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty at his Moscow trial for spying over the Soviet Union in a U-2 plane.
- 1978 Three Americans complete the first crossing of the Atlantic in a balloon.
- 1998 President Bill Clinton admits to the American public that he had affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.