Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, August 19, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 93. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 72. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to drop very gradually into the 80s over the course of the week, with lows in 70s.
Excessive Heat Warning until August 20, 10:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Five women are hanged in Salem, Massachusetts after being convicted of the crime of witchcraft. Fourteen more people are executed that year and 150 others are imprisoned.
- 1779 Americans under Major Henry Lee take the British garrison at Paulus Hook, New Jersey.
- 1812 The USS Constitution earns the nickname “Old Ironsides” during the battle off Nova Scotia that saw her defeat the HMS Guerriere.
- 1870 Birth of Bernard Baruch, U.S. representative to the U.N. Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1871 Birth of Orville Wright, aviation pioneer.
- 1921 Birth of Gene Roddenberry, television writer and producer, best known for the series Star Trek.
- 1950 Edith Sampson becomes the first African-American representative to the United Nations.
- 1957 The first balloon flight to exceed 100,000 feet takes off from Crosby, Minnesota.
- 1965 US forces destroy a Viet Cong stronghold near Van Tuong, in South Vietnam.
- 1974 US Ambassador to Cyrus Rodger P. Davies assassinated by a sniper of Greek Cypriot paramilitary group EOKA-B during a demonstration outside the embassy in Nicosia.
- 1976 Gerald R Ford, who had become President of the United States after Richard Nixon resigned, wins Republican Party’s presidential nomination at Kansas City convention.
- 2004 Google Inc. stock begins selling on the Nasdaq Stock Market, with an initial price of $85; the stock ended the day at $100.34 with more than 22 million shares traded.
- 2010 Operation Iraqi Freedom ends; the last US combat brigade, 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, leaves the country. Six brigades remain to train Iraqi troops.