Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, August 21, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 73. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain fairly level in the upper 80s to low 90s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1831 Nat Turner leads a slave revolt in Southampton County, Virginia that kills close to 60 whites.
- 1858 The first of a series of debates begins between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas. Douglas goes on to win the Senate seat in November, but Lincoln gains national visibility for the first time.
- 1863 Confederate raiders under William Quantrill strike Lawrence, Kansas, leaving 150 civilians dead.
- 1864 Confederate General A.P. Hill attacks Union troops south of Petersburg, Va., at the Weldon railroad. His attack is repulsed, resulting in heavy Confederate casualties.
- 1936 Birth of Wilt Chamberlin, four-time MVP for the National Basketball Association and only player to score 100 points in a professional basketball game.
- 1942 U.S. Marines turn back the first major Japanese ground attack on Guadalcanal in the Battle of Tenaru.
- 1944 The Dumbarton Oaks conference, which lays the foundation for the establishment of the United Nations, is held in Washington, D.C.
- 1945 President Harry S. Truman cancels all contracts under the Lend-Lease Act.
- 1959 Hawaii is admitted into the Union.
- 1972 US orbiting astronomy observatory Copernicus launched.
- 1976 Operation Paul Bunyan: after North Korean guards killed two American officers sent to trim a poplar tree along the DMZ on Aug. 18, US and ROK soldiers with heavy support chopped down the tree.
- 2000 Tiger Woods wins golf’s PGA Championship, the first golfer to win 3 majors in a calendar year since Ben Hogan in 1953.