The Yes on 19 campaign announced today that it has received an endorsement from AFSCME California. Proposition 19, also known as the Home Protection for Seniors, Severely Disabled, Families, and Victims of Wildfire or Natural Disaster Act, will provide housing relief and tax savings for seniors, people with severe disabilities, families, and victims of wildfires and natural disaster, while closing tax loopholes that will generate hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue for fire protection and local governments.
Specifically, Proposition 19 will do the following:
Limit Property Tax Increases for Seniors, People with Disabilities, Families, and Wildfire Victims
- Provide housing relief by allowing seniors, people with severe disabilities, and victims of wildfires to transfer their home’s property tax base to a replacement home anywhere in California.
- Constitutionally protect the right for parents and grandparents to pass the family home to their children and grandchildren so they can afford to live in the home as intended by Prop 58.
- Open up housing inventory throughout California for renters and first-time homeowners.
Support Life-Saving Fire & Emergency Response
- Secure needed revenue for fire protection, fire districts, and CalFire in support of California’s wildfire response.
- Provide dedicated funding for fire response across the state – including historically underfunded fire districts in rural and urban communities – protecting millions of homes and lives.
Generate Hundreds of Millions of Annual Funding for Fire Protection and Local Government
- Generate new revenues for fire protection and local government, emergency services, and vital programs including healthcare access, affordable housing projects, homeless, and mental health services.
- Help balance budgets and provide a boost to our state’s economic recovery from the COVID- 19 pandemic, with revenue projections growing to over $2 billion annually.
Support California’s Family Farms
- Provide added tax relief for California’s family-owned farms and ranches. The additional tax savings for a farmer or rancher will help protect generational farming and continue to support operations that feed much of our nation and world.
Protect Homes as Intended for Californians, Closing Unfair Loopholes Used by Non-Californians
- Close loopholes and tax breaks used on vacation houses, second homes, and beachfront rentals by wealthy non-California residents and trust fund heirs – meant for California homeowners.
- Ensure tax savings work to protect vulnerable Californians and California homeowners as intended under Propositions 58 and 193 – not tax loopholes for out-of-state residents and trust fund heirs to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.
For more information on Proposition 19, visit Yeson19.vote.
This article was paid for by the Yes on 19 Campaign.