Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, August 28, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 92. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 65. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to expected to drop into the mid-80s starting over the weekend, with lows in the mid-60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1676 Indian chief King Philip, also known as Metacom, is killed by English soldiers, ending the war between Indians and colonists.
- 1774 Birth of Elizabeth Ann Seton, founder of the Sisters of St. Joseph and the first U.S.-born saint.
- 1862 Mistakenly believing the Confederate Army to be in retreat, Union General John Pope attacks, beginning the Battle of Groveton. Both sides sustain heavy casualties.
- 1882 Birth of Belle Benchley, the first female zoo director in the world, who directed the Zoological Gardens of San Diego.
- 1963 One of the largest demonstrations in the history of the United States, the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, takes place and reaches its climax at the base of the Lincoln Memorial when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his “I have a dream” speech.
- 1965 The Viet Cong are routed in the Mekong Delta by U.S. forces, with more than 50 killed.
- 1968 Clash between police and anti-war demonstrators during Democratic Party’s National Convention in Chicago.
- 1981 John Hinckley Jr. pleads innocent to attempting to assassinate Pres. Ronald Reagan.
- 1982 First Gay Games held, in San Francisco.
- 1986 US Navy officer Jerry A. Whitworth given 365-year prison term for spying for USSR.
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina reaches Category 5 strength; Louisiana Superdome opened as a “refuge of last resort” in New Orleans.
- 2012 US Republican convention nominates Mitt Romney as the party’s presidential candidate.