Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, August 30, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the lower 80s until the end of the week, when temperatures are expected to spike up into the mid-90s by Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1781 The French fleet arrives in the Chesapeake Bay to aid the American Revolution.
- 1813 Creek Indians massacre over 500 whites at Fort Mims, Alabama.
- 1860 The first British tramway is inaugurated at Birkenhead by an American, George Francis Train.
- 1861 Union General John Fremont declares martial law throughout Missouri and makes his own emancipation proclamation to free slaves in the state. President Lincoln overrules the general.
- 1892 The Moravia, a passenger ship arriving from Germany, brings cholera to the United States.
- 1893 Birth of Huey P. Long, Louisiana politician who served as governor and U.S. senator, known as “The Kingfish.”
- 1918 Birth of Ted Williams, Hall of Fame outfielder for the Boston Red Sox, the last man to hit .400 in a season.
- 1919 Birth of Kitty Wells (Ellen Muriel Deason), first female singer to top the Country Music charts in US1961 President John F. Kennedy appoints General Lucius D. Clay as his personal representative in Berlin.
- 1963 Hot Line communications link installed between Moscow and Washington, DC.
- 1967 US Senate confirms Thurgood Marshall as first African-American Supreme Court justice.
- 1976 Tom Brokaw becomes news anchor of Today Show.
- 1983 Lieutenant Colonel Guion S. Bluford, Jr., becomes the first African-American astronaut to travel in space.