Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 4, 2020:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 90. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 72. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the lower 80s until the end of the week, when temperatures are expected to spike up into the triple digits over the weekend before dropping sharply.
Excessive Heat Warning in effect from September 4, 10:00 AM PDT until September 7, 08:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1781 Los Angeles, first an Indian village Yangma, is founded by Spanish decree.
- 1804 USS Intrepid explodes while entering Tripoli harbor on a mission to destroy the enemy fleet there during the First Barbary War.
- 1862 Robert E. Lee’s Confederate army invades Maryland, starting the Antietam Campaign.
- 1886 Elusive Apache leader Geronimo surrenders to General Nelson A. Miles at Skeleton Canyon, Ariz.
- 1915 The U.S. military places Haiti under martial law to quell a rebellion in its capital Port-au-Prince.
- 1941 German submarine U-652 fires at the U.S. destroyer Greer off Iceland, beginning an undeclared shooting war.
- 1945 The American flag is raised on Wake Island after surrender ceremonies there.
- 1951 The first transcontinental television broadcast in America is carried by 94 stations.
- 1957 Arkansas governor Orval Faubus calls out the National Guard to bar African-American students from entering a Little Rock high school.
- 1967 Operation Swift begins as US Marines engage North Vietnamese Army troops in Que Son Valley.
- 1972 Mark Spitz becomes first Olympic competitor to win 7 medals during a single Olympics Games.
- 1998 Google founded by Stanford University students Larry Page and Sergey Brin.