Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 5, 2020:
Sunny and hot, with a high near 113. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Clear, with a low around 78. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the triple digits over the weekend before dropping sharply, peaking again in the low 90s around midweek.
Excessive Heat Warning until September 7, 08:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1664 After days of negotiation, the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam surrenders to the British, who will rename it New York.
- 1804 US Navy lieutenant Richard Somers and members of his crew are buried at Tripoli; they died when USS Intrepid exploded while entering Tripoli harbor on a mission to destroy the enemy fleet there during the First Barbary War.
- 1842 Birth of Jesse James, legendary outlaw of the American West.
- 1859 Harriot E. Wilson’s Our Nig, is published, the first U.S. novel by an African American woman.
- 1867 The first shipment of cattle leaves Abilene, Kansas, on a Union Pacific train headed to Chicago.
- 1877 The great Sioux warrior Crazy Horse is fatally bayoneted at age 36 by a soldier at Fort Robinson, Nebraska.
- 1878 Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Bill Tilghman and Clay Allison, four of the West’s most famous gunmen, meet in Dodge City, Kansas.
- 1897 Birth of A.C. Nielsen, founder of the Nielsen Ratings.
- 1912 Birth of Franklin “Frank” Thomas, one of the “Nine Old Men” among Walt Disney’s team of animators.
- 1921 Birth of Jack Valenti, an American film executive who created the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) voluntary system for rating film content as a guide for parents.
- 1929 Birth of Bob Newhart, deadpan standup comedian and TV actor (The Bob Newhart Show).
- 1958 Martin Luther King Jr. is arrested in an Alabama protest for loitering and fined $14 for refusing to obey police.
- 1969 Charges are brought against US lieutenant William Calley in the March 1968 My Lai Massacre during Vietnam War.
- 1975 President Gerald Ford evades an assassination attempt in Sacramento, California.
- 1977 Voyager 1 space probe launched.
- 1984 Space Shuttle Discovery lands afters its maiden voyage.
- 1996 Hurricane Fran comes ashore near Cape Fear, North Carolina. It will kill 27 people and cause more than $3 billion in damage.