Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 12, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain fairly consistent in the upper 80s to low 90s through the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1609 Henry Hudson sails into what is now New York Harbor aboard his sloop Half Moon.
- 1662 Governor Berkley of Virginia is denied his attempts to repeal the Navigation Acts.
- 1892 Birth of Alfred A. Knopf, American publisher.
- 1910 Birth of Alexander D. Langmuir, epidemiologist, created and led the U.S. Epidemic Intelligence Service.
- 1913 Birth of Jesse Owens, track and field athlete who won four medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.
- 1944 American troops fight their way into Germany.
- 1949 Birth of Charles “Chic” Burlingame III, pilot of American Airlines Flight 77, that was hijacked and flown into the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, by terrorists.
- 1969 President Richard Nixon orders a resumption in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1992 Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off on NASA’s 50th shuttle mission; its crew includes the first African-American woman in space, the first married couple, and the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spacecraft.
- 2011 In New York City, the 9/11 Memorial Museum opens to the public.