Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 17, 2020:
Widespread haze. Sunny, with a high near 89. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain fairly consistent in the upper 80s to low 90s before gradually dropping into the lower 80s over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 The Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia approves the Constitution for the United States of America.
- 1796 President George Washington delivers his “Farewell Address” to Congress before concluding his second term in office.
- 1862 The Battle of Antietam in Maryland, the bloodiest day in U.S. history, commences. Fighting in the corn field, Bloody Lane and Burnside’s Bridge rages all day as the Union and Confederate armies suffer a combined 26,293 casualties.
- 1868 The Battle of Beecher’s Island begins, in which Major George “Sandy” Forsyth and 50 volunteers hold off 500 Sioux and Cheyenne in eastern Colorado.
- 1879 Birth of Andrew “Rube” Foster, father of the Negro baseball leagues.
- 1902 U.S. troops are sent to Panama to keep train lines open over the isthmus as Panamanian nationals struggle for independence from Colombia.
- 1907 Birth of Warren E. Burger, chief justice of the Supreme Court.
- 1947 James Forestall is sworn in as first the U.S. Secretary of Defense.
- 1962 The first federal suit to end public school segregation is filed by the U.S. Justice Department.
- 1976 The Space Shuttle is unveiled to the public.
- 1983 Vanessa Williams becomes the first black Miss America; relinquished crown early after scandal over nude photos.
- 2001 The New York Stock Exchange reopens for the first time since the September 11 terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers; longest period of closure since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
- 2006 Alaska’s Fourpeaked Mountain erupts for the first time in at least 10,000 years.
- 2011 Occupy Wall Street movement calling for greater social and economic equality begins in New York City’s Zuccotti Park, coining the phrase “We are the 99%.”