Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, September 20, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the low to mid 80s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1784 Packet and Daily, the first daily publication in America, appears on the streets.
- 1806 Explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark pass the French village of La Charette, the first white settlement they have seen in more than two years.
- 1830 The National Negro Convention convenes in Philadelphia with the purpose of abolishing slavery.
- 1833 Birth of Petroleum V. Nasby (David Ross Locke), humorist whose work was enjoyed by Abraham Lincoln.
- 1850 The slave trade is abolished in the District of Columbia.
- 1863 Union troops under George Thomas prevent the Union defeat at Chickamauga from becoming a rout, earning him the nickname “the Rock of Chickamauga.”
- 1878 Birth of Upton Sinclair, author best known today for The Jungle.
- 1917 Birth of Arnold “Red” Auerbach, second most wins basketball coach in history with 1,037 victories for the Boston Celtics.
- 1934 Bruno Hauptmann arrested for the kidnapping and murder of the Lindbergh baby.
- 1952 Scientists confirm that DNA holds hereditary data.
- 1973 In a pro tennis bout dubbed “The Battle of the Sexes,” Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome in Texas.
- 1984 Suicide car bomber attacks US embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 22.
- 2001 US Pres. George W. Bush, addressing a joint session of Congress, declares a “war on terror.”.
- 2011 US military ends its “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and allows gay men and women to serve openly.