Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 21, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 85. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the low to mid 80s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1673 James Needham returns to Virginia after exploring the land to the west, which would become Tennessee.
- 1863 Union troops defeated at Chickamauga seek refuge in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is then besieged by Confederate troops.
- 1866 Birth of H.G. Wells, science fiction writer whose works include The Time Machine, The Invisible Man and The War of the Worlds.
- 1904 Exiled Nez Perce leader Chief Joseph dies of a “broken heart”.
- 1937 The women’s airspeed record is set at 292 mph by American pilot Jacqueline Cochran.
- 1937 J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy novel The Hobbit is published.
- 1944 U.S. troops of the 7th Army, invading Southern France, cross the Meuse River.
- 1989 General Colin Powell is confirmed by the U.S. Senate as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- 2003 Galileo space mission ends as the probe is sent into Jupiter’s atmosphere where it is crushed.