Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 24, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 62. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the mid 80s until the new week, when highs are expected to rise into the low to mid 90s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1755 Birth of John Marshall, fourth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and U.S. Secretary of State.
- 1789 Congress passes the Judiciary Act of 1789, establishing a strong federal court system with the powers it needs to ensure the supremacy of the Constitution and federal law. The new Supreme Court will have a chief justice and five associate justices.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus against anyone suspected of being a Southern sympathizer.
- 1894 Birth of E. Franklin Frazier, first African-American president of the American Sociological Society.
- 1896 Birth of Francis Scott Key (F. Scott) Fitzgerald, novelist best known for The Great Gatsby.
- 1904 Sixty-two die and 120 are injured in head-on train collision in Tennessee.
- 1929 The first flight using only instruments is completed by U.S. Army pilot James Doolittle.
- 1956 The first transatlantic telephone cable system begins operation.
- 1957 President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, to protect nine black students entering its newly integrated high school.
- 1960 The Enterprise, the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, is launched.
- 1962 The University of Mississippi agrees to admit James Meredith as the first black university student, sparking more rioting.
- 1969 The “Chicago Eight,” charged with conspiracy and crossing state lines with the intent to incite a riot, go on trial for their part in the mayhem during the 1968 Democratic Party National Convention in the “Windy City.”
- 1979 CompuServe (CIS) offers one of the first online services to consumers; it will dominate among Internet service providers for consumers through the mid-1990s.
- 2005 Hurricane Rita, the 4th-most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded, comes ashore in Texas causing extensive damage there and in Louisiana, which had devastated by Hurricane Katrina less than a month earlier.
- 2009 LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) “sonic cannon,” a non-lethal device that utilizes intense sound, is used in the United States for the first time, to disperse protestors at the G20 summit in Pittsburgh, Penn.