Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, September 27, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 79. Light southeast wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 88. Light west wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to rise sharply, peaking in the mid-90s on Tuesday before gradually dropping.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1722 Birth of Samuel Adams, American revolutionary patriot and statesman, helped to organize the Boston Tea Party.
- 1840 Birth of Thomas Nast, caricaturist, creator of the Democratic donkey and the Republican elephant.
- 1864 Confederate guerrilla Bloody Bill Anderson and his henchmen, including a teenage Jesse James, massacre 20 unarmed Union soldiers at Centralia, Missouri. The event becomes known as the Centralia Massacre.
- 1869 Wild Bill Hickok, sheriff of Hays City, Kan., shoots down Samuel Strawhim, a drunken teamster causing trouble.
- 1918 President Woodrow Wilson opens his fourth Liberty Loan campaign to support men and machines for World War I.
- 1920 Eight Chicago White Sox players are charged with fixing the 1919 World Series.
- 1950 U.S. Army and Marine troops liberate Seoul, South Korea.
- 1956 The U.S. Air Force Bell X-2, the world’s fastest and highest-flying plane, crashes, killing the test pilot.
- 1964 The Warren Commission, investigating the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, issues its report, stating its conclusion that Lee Harvey Oswald was the sole gunman.
- 1979 US Congress approves Department of Education as the 13th agency in the US Cabinet.
- 2007 NASA launches Dawn probe to explore and study the two larges objects of the asteroid belt, Vesta and Ceres.