Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 3, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 94. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 65. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast gradually drop over the next several days, with marine layer returning Monday and highs in the lower 80s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Congress borrows five million dollars to halt the rapid depreciation of paper money in the colonies.
- 1862 At the Battle of Corinth, in Mississippi, a Union army defeats the Confederates.
- 1873 Captain Jack and three other Modoc Indians are hanged in Oregon for the murder of General Edward Canby.
- 1876 John L. Routt, the Colorado Territory governor, is elected the first state governor of Colorado in the Centennial year of the U.S.
- 1931 The comic strip Dick Tracy first appears in the New York News.
- 1940 U.S. Army adopts airborne, or parachute, soldiers. Airborne troops were later used in World War II for landing troops in combat and infiltrating agents into enemy territory.
- 1941 The Maltese Falson, starring Humphrey Bogart as detective Sam Spade, opens.
- 1951 A “shot is heard around the world” when New York Giants outfielder Bobby Thomson hits a home run in the bottom of the ninth inning, beating the Brooklyn Dodgers to win the National League pennant.
- 1955 Two children’s television programs and a family sitcom all destined to become classics debut: Captain Kangaroo, Mickey Mouse Club, and The Dick Van Dyke Show.
- 1985 The Space Shuttle Atlantis makes its maiden flight.
- 1989 Art Shell becomes the first African American to coach a professional football team, the Los Angeles Raiders.
- 1993 Battle of Mogadishu, in which 18 US soldiers and some 1,000 Somalis are killed during an attempt to capture officials of the warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid’s organization.
- 1995 Former pro football star and actor O.J. Simpson is acquitted of the murders of his wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, ending what many called “the Trial of the Century.”
- 2008 The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury to purchase distressed assets of financial corporations and supply cash directly to banks to keep them afloat.