I hope you and your families are well. Here is the latest update…
- What Remains the Same – 2020-2021 Sports Calendars – There has been one constant since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March…CHANGE! We have seen so many different things develop over the last several months and it has been extremely difficult to keep up with all the dynamics involved. However, what I want to assure you is there is one thing that will not change and that is our 2020-2021 Sports Calendars. They remain in place since they were announced on July 20 and will continue to remain in place as we begin October, approach November, and move forward in preparation for the launch of our Fall Sports season in mid-December. Our member schools have done a remarkable job of arranging schedules and making plans for what lies ahead, and I truly appreciate the incredible efforts they have made in service to our student-athletes. Hopefully, progress will continue to be made in getting our students back on campus for academics and athletics as we forge on through these unprecedented times.
- Southern Section Council Meeting Recap – Thursday, October 1 – Yesterday, we held our first Southern Section Council meeting of the year virtually. Thank you to all our League Representatives who attended, as well as the members of our Executive Committee who were able to join us. There was only one Southern Section Action Item on the agenda, which would allow two yellow cards for Soccer to result in an ejection from that contest, but not include a suspension for the next contest, and that proposal passed (83-7-1). Non-Action Items at the CIF State Federated Council level were introduced for first reading: Adding Beach Volleyball as a CIF-approved sport, the Sunday Cheer Exception for the National High School Cheerleading Championships (authored by the Southern Section as we passed that proposal last May at our final Council meeting of the 2019-2020 school year), maximum allowable contest number of 28 for Baseball and Softball to take effect in the 2021-2022 school year, now that Baseball and Softball are CIF Regional sports, and CIF Federated Council Weighted Voting numbers were reviewed (there were no changes from the 2019-2020 numbers for any of the 10 sections in the state). As for Southern Section Non-Action Items, discussions were held on the proposal from the Hall of Fame/Distinguished Service Committee to develop criteria for Hall of Fame selections for coaches and the proposal from the Coastal Canyon League for an Altercation Plan for schools to follow, in the event of an incident that involves multiple players and coaches, to be included in the Blue Book. Virtual meetings of this size are not the easiest to navigate through, so I am grateful to all of you for your patience and understanding as we continue to follow the guidelines of state and local health authorities regarding prohibiting large in person meetings. Hopefully, we will be able to get back to what we are used to doing and seeing each other in person soon.
- 2020-2021 Membership Dues/Sport Fees Due – Thursday, October 1 – The deadline for the payment of your 2020-2021 Membership Dues/Sport Fees was yesterday, October 1. If you have not already done so, please make every effort to fulfill this obligation of membership as soon as possible.
- Area Placement Request Forms Due – Friday, October 9 – Reminder, Area Placement Request Forms are due by email to our office by next Friday, October 9, by 4:00 pm. Each member school, by completing this form, is given the opportunity to inform us of their preference to remain in the Releaguing Area they are currently in or request to move to another Releaguing Area for the 2022-2026 Releaguing Cycle. If schools do not send this form back to our office by next Friday’s deadline, they will automatically be placed into the same Releaguing Area they were in for the 2018-2022 Releaguing Cycle.
- Latest Transfer Numbers – The latest transfer numbers (pdf) for July, August and September of this year, as well as those same months of the 2019-2020 school year, are attached to this update.
I hope this information is useful to you moving forward and if you have any questions, or I can help you in any way at all, do not hesitate to contact me. My staff and I are ready, willing and able to assist you in any way we possibly can.
Thank you very much for your help and support, it is truly appreciated.
Be well, stay safe, take care and all the best to you and your families.
The article and attachment were released by CIF-SS.