Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, October 6, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 63. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast gradually drop over the next several days, with highs returning to the lower 80s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1846 Birth of George Westinghouse, prolific inventor, held over 100 patents on creations including air brakes for trains.
- 1866 The Reno brothers–Frank, John, Simeon and William–commit the country’s first train robbery near Seymore, Indiana netting $10,000.
- 1908 Birth of Carol Lombard, American comediennne and actress.
- 1927 The first “talkie,” The Jazz Singer, opens with popular entertainer Al Jolson singing and dancing in black-face. By 1930, silent movies were a thing of the past.
- 1965 Patricia Harris takes post as U.S. Ambassador to Belgium, becoming the first African American U.S. ambassador.
- 1966 Hanoi insists the United States must end its bombings before peace talks can begin.
- 1969 Special Forces Captain John McCarthy is released from Fort Leavenworth Penitentiary, pending consideration of his appeal to murder charges.
- 1995 Astronomers discover 51 Pegasi is the second star known to have a planet orbiting it.