Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 7, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast gradually drop over the next several days, with highs returning to the lower 80s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1765 Delegates from nine of the American colonies meet in New York to discuss the Stamp Act Crisis and colonial response to it.
- 1849 Edgar Allan Poe, aged 40, dies a tragic death in Baltimore. Never able to overcome his drinking habits, he was found in a delirious condition outside a saloon that was used as a voting place.
- 1913 In attempting to find ways to lower the cost of the automobile and make it more affordable to ordinary Americans, Henry Ford took note of the work of efficiency experts like Frederick Taylor, the “father of scientific management.” The result was the assembly line that reduced the time it took to manufacture a car, from 12 hours to 93 minutes.
- 1949 Iva Toguri D’Aquino, better known as Tokyo Rose, is sentenced to 10 years in prison for treason.
- 1993 The Great Flood of 1993 on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers ends, the worst US flood since 1927.
- 1996 Fox News Channel begins broadcasting.
- 2001 US invasion of Afghanistan in reaction to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 begins; it will become the longest war in US history.
- 2003 California voters remove Democratic governor Gray Davis from office in the state’s first successful recall of a sitting governor (only the second successful recall of a governor in US history); a Republican candidate, bodybuilder/actor Arnold Schwarzenegger wins the election to replace Davis 17 days later.