Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, October 11, 2020:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 77. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to rise sharply into 90s, remaining well above average for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 The Confederate Congress in Richmond passes a draft law allowing anyone owning 20 or more slaves to be exempt from military service. This law confirms many Southerners’ opinion that they are in a ‘rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight.’
- 1877 Outlaw Wild Bill Longley, who killed at least a dozen men, is hanged, but it took two tries; on the first try, the rope slipped and his knees drug the ground.
- 1906 San Francisco school board orders the segregation of Oriental schoolchildren, inciting Japanese outrage.
- 1942 In the Battle of Cape Esperance, near the Solomon Islands, U.S. cruisers and destroyers decisively defeat a Japanese task force in a night surface encounter.
- 1950 The Federal Communications Commission authorizes the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) to begin commercial color TV broadcasts.
- 1968 Apollo 7, with three men aboard, is successfully launched from Cape Kennedy.
- 1972 Race riot breaks out aboard carrier USS Kitty Hawk off Vietnam during Operation Linebacker.
- 1972 A French mission in Vietnam is destroyed by a U.S. bombing raid.
- 1975 Saturday Night Live comedy-variety show premiers on NBC, with guest host comedian George Carlin and special guests Janis Ian, Andy Kaufman and Billy Preston; at this writing (2013) the show is still running.
- 1984 Astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan, part of the crew of Space Shuttle Challenger, becomes the first American woman to walk in space.
- 1991 Confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas begin.
- 2000 NASA launches its 100th Space Shuttle mission.
- 2001 The Polaroid Corporation, which had provided shutterbugs with photo prints in minutes with its “instant cameras” since 1947, files for bankruptcy.