Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, October 13, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 94. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are expected to peak on Wednesday and remain well above average for the rest of the week.
Heat Advisory in effect from October 13, 11:00 AM PDT until October 16, 05:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1670 Virginia passes a law that blacks arriving in the colonies as Christians cannot be used as slaves.
- 1775 The Continental Congress authorizes construction of two warships, thus instituting an American naval force.
- 1776 Benedict Arnold is defeated at Lake Champlain.
- 1792 President George Washington lays the cornerstone for the White House.
- 1812 At the Battle of Queenston Heights, a Canadian and British army defeats the American who have tried to invade Canada.
- 1849 The California state constitution, which prohibits slavery, is signed in Monterey.
- 1903 Boston defeats Pittsburgh in baseball’s first World Series.
- 1942 In the first of four attacks, two Japanese battleships sail down the slot and shell Henderson field on Guadalcanal, in an unsuccessful effort to destroy the American Cactus Air Force.
- 1958 First appearance of Paddington Bear, now a beloved icon of children’s literature.
- 1967 First game of the fledgling American Basketball Association; Oakland Oaks beat Anaheim Amigos 134-129 in Oakland, Cal.
- 1976 Dr. F.A. Murphy at the Center for Disease Control obtains the first electron micrograph of an Ebola viral particle.
- 1983 The Space Shuttle Challenger, carrying seven, the largest crew to date, lands safely at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.