Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, October 18, 2020:
Patchy dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 81. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to gradually drop into the lower 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1648 The “shoemakers of Boston”–the first labor organization in what would become the United States–was authorized by the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1867 The Alaska territory is formally transferred to the U.S. from Russian control.
- 1867 The rules for American football are formulated at meeting in New York among delegates from Columbia, Rutgers, Princeton and Yale universities.
- 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt bans war submarines from U.S. ports and waters.
- 1944 Lt. General Joseph Stilwell is recalled from China by President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1968 US athletes Tommi Smith and John Carlos suspended by US Olympic Committee for giving “black power” salute while receiving their medals at the Olympic Games in Mexico City.