Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 21, 2020:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 61. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to reach into the upper 60s over the weekend before rising again.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1837 Under a flag of truce during peace talks, U.S. troops siege the Indian Seminole Chief Osceola in Florida.
- 1861 The Battle of Ball’s Bluff, Va. begins, a disastrous Union defeat which sparks Congressional investigations.
- 1867 Many leaders of the Kiowa, Comanche and Kiowa-Apache sign a peace treaty at Medicine Lodge, Kan. Comanche Chief Quanah Parker refused to accept the treaty terms.
- 1872 The U.S. Naval Academy admits John H. Conyers, the first African American to be accepted.
- 1879 After 14 months of testing, Thomas Edison first demonstrates his electric lamp, hoping to one day compete with gaslight.
- 1904 Panamanians clash with U.S. Marines in Panama in a brief uprising.
- 1917 The first U.S. troops enter the front lines at Sommerviller under French command.
- 1940 Ernest Hemingway’s novel For Whom the Bell Tolls is published.
- 1942 Eight American and British officers land from a submarine on an Algerian beach to take measure of Vichy French to the Operation Torch landings.
- 1950 Birth of Ronald McNair, astronaut; died when Space Shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after launch on Jan. 2, 1986.
- 1959 The Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens in Manhattan.
- 1961 Bob Dylan records his first album in a single day at a cost of $400.
- 1967 The “March on the Pentagon,” protesting American involvement in Vietnam , draws 50,000 protesters.
- 1983 The United States sends a ten-ship task force to Grenada.
- 1994 North Korea and the US sign an agreement requiring North Korea to halts its nuclear weapons program and agree to international inspections.