Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, October 29, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are forecast to gradually rise, peaking in the upper 80s during the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 The Demologos, the first steam-powered warship, launched in New York City.
- 1901 Leon Czolgosz is electrocuted for the assassination of US President William McKinley. Czolgosz, an anarchist, shot McKinley on September 6 during a public reception at the Temple of Music in Buffalo, N.Y. Despite early hopes of recovery, McKinley died September 14, in Buffalo, NY.
- 1929 Black Tuesday–the most catastrophic day in stock market history, the herald of the Great Depression. 16 million shares were sold at declining prices. By mid-November $30 billion of the $80 billion worth of stocks listed in September will have been wiped out.
- 1945 The first ball-point pen goes is sold by Gimbell’s department store in New York for a price of $12.
- 1949 Alonzo G. Moron of the Virgin Islands becomes the first African-American president of Hampton Institute, Hampton, Virginia.
- 1969 The U.S. Supreme Court orders immediate desegregation, superseding the previous “with all deliberate speed” ruling.
- 1969 First computer-to-computer link; the link is accomplished through ARPANET, forerunner of the Internet.
- 1998 John Glenn, at age 77, becomes the oldest person to go into outer space. He is part of the crew of Space Shuttle Discovery, STS-95.
- 2004 For the first time, Osama bin Laden admits direct responsibility for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the US; his comments are part of a video broadcast by the Al Jazeera network.
- 2008 Delta and Northwest airlines merge, forming the world’s largest airline.
- 2012 Hurricane Sandy devastates much of the East Coast of the US; nearly 300 die directly or indirectly from the storm.