Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, November 1, 2020:
Patchy dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Calm wind.
High temperatures are forecast to peak again on Thursday, followed by a sharp decline.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1765 The Stamp Act goes into effect in the British colonies.
- 1861 Lieutenant General Winfield Scott, 50-year veteran and leader of the U.S. Army at the onset of the Civil War, retires. General George McClellan is appointed general-in-chief of the Union armies.
- 1866 Wild woman of the west Myra Maybelle Shirley (Belle Starr) marries James C. Reed in Collins County, Texas.
- 1869 Louis Riel seizes Fort Garry, Winnipeg, during the Red River Rebellion.
- 1923 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company buys the rights to manufacture Zeppelin dirigibles.
- 1924 Legendary Oklahoma marshal Bill Tilghman, 71, is gunned down by a drunk in Cromwell, Oklahoma.
- 1936 The Rodeo Cowboy’s Association is founded.
- 1943 American troops invade Bougainville in the Solomon Islands.
- 1945 John H. Johnson publishes the first issue of Ebony magazine.
- 1950 Two members of a Puerto Rican nationalist movement attempt to assassinate President Harry S Truman.
- 1967 The first issue of Rolling Stone hits the streets.
- 1968 The Motion Picture Association of America officially introduces its rating system to indicate age-appropriateness of film content.
- 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson calls a halt to bombing in Vietnam, hoping this will lead to progress at the Paris peace talks.
- 1973 Leon Jaworski appointed as new Watergate Special Prosecutor.
- 1982 Honda opens a plant in Marysville, Ohio, becoming the first Asian automobile company to produce cars in the US.